Illinois Family Awarded $3M in Child's Wrongful Death
An Illinois family was recently awarded $3 million for their daughter's wrongful death at what is now known as the Metro South Medical Center. The child had been seen by doctors for a simple ear infection, but was given the wrong medication – forever changing the family's lives.
Wrongful death of 18-month old girl
This Cook County Illinois wrongful deathcase involves Steve and Paula Fisher and their infant daughter, Aubrey. According to a news report in the Chicago Sun Times, the Fisher's brought Aubrey to the St. Francis Hospital and Health Center in Blue Island, now operating under the name Metro South Medical Center, for a simple ear infection.
Although Aubrey was given penicillin for the infection, hospital staff gave her the wrong penicillin – a type for which she was allergic. Staff knew that, but the person who administered the antibiotic allegedly did not know the difference between the two. Aubrey died shortly afterward – at only 18-months old.
Attorney able to show hospital's negligence
Her family sued the medical facility and recently settled the case for $3 million. Their wrongful death attorney was able to prove negligence by showing that the person who administered Aubrey's medication was “confused” about the colors of the different penicillin vials – but administered the drug anyway and that hospital administrators discarded evidence such as syringes, IV tubes and other evidence shortly after the issue came to light.
Have you been injured?
If you've been injured due to medical malpractice, it's important to take action sooner rather than later – regardless of whether you hire an attorney to represent you. As the case above shows, vital medical evidence can “disappear” quickly – whether it's intentional or not.
Medical malpractice claims generally involve a great deal of money. Make sure to consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney to evaluate your options. Most offer free consultations, so you're not obligated to take the matter further.