Motorcycle Accident Attorneys: How They Can Help Your Case
UPDATED: June 19, 2018
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Motorcycle accidents generally result in very serious injuries, and getting the recovery you deserve may depend on whether or not you have hired an experienced motorcycle injury attorney. A lawyer familiar with motorcycle accident claims will be able to pursue a lawsuit, identify the parties to sue, calculate damages owed, and work with insurance companies or opposing attorneys. If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, consult with a motorcycle claims attorney before taking any action.
Choosing a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
There are several motorcycle accident attorneys on the market, and choosing one can be difficult. While shopping for an attorney, consider the following:
- Reputation: Results are not the only factor that builds an attorney's reputation. Speak with friends or associates who have experience with the attorney, consult the internet for reviews, and take some time to get a sense of whether or not the attorney is right for you. Ask about the way the attorney works with clients, how regularly he keeps clients informed, how easy he is to talk to, and whether or not he is willing to fight for your case or is inclined to take easy settlement offers.
- Results: Ultimately, results are the most significant factor, particularly if you have suffered a serious injury. It is not always easy to find information about an attorney's results without asking them, so make sure you bring it up with each attorney you consult before making a final decision.
Presenting Your Case to a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you bring your case to an attorney, you will need to be prepared to give them as much information as you can. Attorneys are not obligated to take every case that walks through their door, and will need to hear all of the details before they can commit to representing you. You can help a lawyer decide to take the case by taking some simple steps:
- Understand the accident: Take some time to review the facts of the accident in order to better explain what happened and who was at fault.
- Identify the evidence: Every motorcycle accident will result in physical evidence that attorneys will need to evaluate. Getting together police reports, witness statements, photos of the accident scene, and any other physical evidence will assist a motorcycle accident attorney evaluate the case.
- Know your insurance policy: If you are consulting with an attorney during the motorcycle insurance claim process, know what your policy says and connect it to the damages you suffered.
Working with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
After hiring a motorcycle accident attorney, you still need to stay active and involved in your case. While the attorney will make strategy decisions and handle the process of presenting your injury claim or lawsuit, the ultimate decisions in the case are yours to make. After hiring an attorney, work with them to develop a case strategy, take the time to understand what direction your case is headed, ask them to contact you before each action they take, provide them with any additional information required, and contact them regularly (although not excessively) for updates. Throughout the process you need to stay informed about the lawsuit in order to ensure your lawyer can get the most out of your case.
Paying a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
You can find motorcycle accident attorneys who are willing to work on a contingency fee, which means they do not get paid unless they are successful in the case. Some attorneys bill by the hour, some have higher contingency fees than others, and some require retainer payments to cover the costs of litigation. Be sure to cover those issues prior to making a hiring decision, and go with an attorney who has the most to offer considering the fee they charge.
Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney is a critical decision, and should not be done without time and effort. Motorcycle injuries can be serious and have expensive long term consequences, so speak with an exprerience professional before taking any legal action. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle or bicycle accident, contact an attorney whose practice focuses in this area of law. Click here, for a free consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney.